Saturday, November 29, 2008

Twilight: The Book vs. The Movie

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1) I read this book as a preview check before giving it to my daughter for her 12th birthday last year. I came so close to tossing it a hundred times before I got to the last few chapters when the action began. I found Meyer's writing mediocre at best. Her descritive phrases are redundant (i.e., "...his eyes tightened"). Her heroine is such a poor model for teenage girls--here's a girl who sees nothing good or worthy within herself and becomes so enamored by her "love" that she is willing to kill/destroy herself for him depending on whether she thinks he loves her or not. Teenage girls have enough issues without romanticizing the problems that are already rampant among them.

I saw the movie last weekend and liked it very much--I thought it was well done. In fact, it was one of the very few movies I've ever seen that I thought was actually better than the book. It got rid of most of the nauseating descriptions of Edward's perfection and created a much more tolerable Bella. At least it kept her "I can't live without you" manic episode to a hospital room where it could be partly written off as trauma.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The movie was so poor and low budget in my opinion. I loved the book 10x better.

Anonymous said...

Bella was a really poor role model for girls, I agree. But, I don't think she is any worse then cinderella or sleeping beauty. To me the books are long fairy tales, and while annoyed with Bella and Jacob, I kept reading them for Edward.
ave